Mildred B. West

University of Maryland

1998

With unparalleled drive and dedication, Millie West (b.1934) built a legacy for all future collegiate champions. Arriving at the College of William & Mary in 1959, West rose from instructor to full professor, compiled a 208-28-2 record as tennis coach, and skillfully guided the athletics program through the turbulent years of Title IX. During her 17-year tenure as women’s athletic director the program budget increased from $19,000 to more than $1 million.
A tireless advocate for women’s tennis, West was honored with the USTA’s Special Merit Award in 1986. She chaired the Wightman Cup matches in the United States throughout the 1980s, featuring such greats as Martina Navratilova and Virginia Wade. Fulfilling a long-held dream, West crowned her career by spearheading construction of the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center and securing a permanent home for the ITA Women’s Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame.

B.S.’57 Georgia State College for Women; M.A.’59 University of Maryland
Head Coach, W&M Women’s Tennis Team 1965-1972, 1975-1980 (202-28-2 record)
AIAW Division II Commissioner 1981-1982
Director, Mid-Atlantic Tennis Association (MATA) Junior Wightman Cup Matches 1970-80
Director, W&M Women’s Athletics 1969-1986; Associate Athletic Director, Men’s and Women’s Athletics 1986-1991
Chair, W&M Department of Physical Education 1969-1979
Raised more than $2 million for endowment of W&M women’s athletics; $1.5 million for the tennis program
Tournament Chair, Wightman Cup Matches 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989
Member, USTA Wightman Cup/Federation Cup Committee 1986-1990; Federation Cup Committee 1997-present; Intercollegiate Tennis Committee 1987-present
Selected for the USTA Educational Merit Award 1986
MidAtlantic Tennis Association Special Award of Merit 1987
Alumni Achievement Award, Georgia College 1988
Awarded Professor Emerita and Honorary Alumna Status, College of William & Mary 1991
Sports Information Directors Distinguished Service Award 1992
Chair of the Building Committee, McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center; instrumental in raising $4.2 million for construction and operations; building dedication was in 1995
Established the ITA Women’s Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame; Committee Chair and Curator 1991-present
Williamsburg Community Health Foundation Founding Board Member 1996-2005; Executive Board 1998-2005
Member, Williamsburg Garden Club; President 2000-2002
Passed Member of the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame Executive Board and Selection Committee
Elected to the International Lawn Tennis Club of the USA 1998
Elected Honorary Member of Mortar Board and ODK, College of William and Mary
USPTA Member, Professional Level
Williamsburg Community Foundation, 2006 to present
Williamsburg Advisory Boards: WHRO, Public Radio; and Sentara Regional Hospital

Career Highlights
    B.S.’57 Georgia State College for Women; M.A.’59 University of Maryland
    Head Coach, W&M Women’s Tennis Team 1965-1972, 1975-1980 (202-28-2 record)
    AIAW Division II Commissioner 1981-1982
    Director, Mid-Atlantic Tennis Association (MATA) Junior Wightman Cup Matches 1970-80
    Director, W&M Women’s Athletics 1969-1986; Associate Athletic Director, Men’s and Women’s Athletics 1986-1991
    Chair, W&M Department of Physical Education 1969-1979
    Raised more than $2 million for endowment of W&M women’s athletics; $1.5 million for the tennis program
    Tournament Chair, Wightman Cup Matches 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989
    Member, USTA Wightman Cup/Federation Cup Committee 1986-1990; Federation Cup Committee 1997-present; Intercollegiate Tennis Committee 1987-present
    Selected for the USTA Educational Merit Award 1986
    MidAtlantic Tennis Association Special Award of Merit 1987
    Alumni Achievement Award, Georgia College 1988
    Awarded Professor Emerita and Honorary Alumna Status, College of William & Mary 1991
    Sports Information Directors Distinguished Service Award 1992
    Chair of the Building Committee, McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center; instrumental in raising $4.2 million for construction and operations; building dedication was in 1995
    Established the ITA Women’s Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame; Committee Chair and Curator 1991-present
    Williamsburg Community Health Foundation Founding Board Member 1996-2005; Executive Board 1998-2005
    Member, Williamsburg Garden Club; President 2000-2002
    Passed Member of the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame Executive Board and Selection Committee
    Elected to the International Lawn Tennis Club of the USA 1998
    Elected Honorary Member of Mortar Board and ODK, College of William and Mary
    USPTA Member, Professional Level
    Williamsburg Community Foundation, 2006 to present
    Williamsburg Advisory Boards: WHRO, Public Radio; and Sentara Regional Hospital
Other 1998 Inductees